So. I just went to see Scott Pilgrim. It is pretty amazing. Go watch it. But because I am a super nerd, I couldn't help but notice a few parallels between Scott Pilgrim and Revolutionary Girl Utena. Which is odd because, I've read the comic, and I didn't immediately notice them then. Maybe I'm just crazy but here are quick fire thought from the depths of my mind.
Scott Pilgrimis a Canadian maleRevolutionary Girl Utena
| Scott Pilgrim|| Utena Tenjou|
- Scott Pilgrim is drawn towards a mysterious girl
- He must defeat those who challenge him in order to date Ramona
- Ramona Flowers
- Surreal battles
- Scott draws a sword from his chest
- Towards the end, Scott attempts to save Ramona and fails.
- Scott realises that he can only save himself and then does so.
- Scott and Ramona then travel through subspace which may be another pane of existence.
- Utena is drawn towards a mysterious girl
- She must defeat those who challenge her in order to keep Anthy as her Rose Bride
- Rose Bride (lol, I'm really forcing this)
- Surreal duels
- Utena draws a sword from Anthy's chest
- Towards the end, Utena attempts to save Anthy and fails.
- Utena then realises she can only save herself and then does so. Kinda.
- Utena then moves on to another pane of existence. Possibly.
So yeah, maybe I'm just seeing patterns in things that just aren't there, but its all good fun. So yeah.
Did I mention I look bitchin' in a pink wig?